Here at Floor Coverings International West Metro Atlanta, we love hardwood flooring. It’s also a favorite among homeowners in the greater Marietta, East Cobb, Powder Springs, and Smyrna areas who love its beautiful looks, solid construction, and variety of available wood species and tones. Today, our experts are here to talk about hickory hardwood flooring, a beautifully durable hardwood that might just be right for your next home flooring project.
Hickory refers to the 19 different deciduous tree species that make up the carya genus, which grow natively throughout North America and parts of Asia. 12 of these species are found in the United States, which includes the species the produces pecans. The wood itself has a long, uniform grain that ranges from light tans to darker browns in color.
Historically, hickory has been used throughout the ages to make everyday items, such as tools, wheels, and furniture. As a flooring material, hickory is very strong and highly durable, outranking hardwoods such as oak and maple on the Janka Hardness scale. This provides homes with a long lasting floor that is more resilient to scratches and dents, which is great for busy families with pets and children.
- For its durability, hickory is much more reasonably priced than more exotic hardwoods.
- Thanks to its hardness, the surface requires deep sanding and refinishing less often, saving you money in maintenance over the lifetime of the floors.
- Hickory holds up better in humid climates than softer hardwoods that tend to expand and contract through seasonal change.
- Thanks to its light color, hickory flooring takes different stains very well, so you are sure to find the perfect tone or hue for your design
- Because it starts off lighter in color, it’s a great material to achieve the blonde hardwood look that’s gaining in popularity in recent years.
The strength of the wood means that hickory might be more challenging to install and refinish. In areas where standing occurs more frequently, such as kitchens, we recommend using floor mats or area rugs to prevent tired feet and joints. When it comes to maintenance, clean your hickory floors as you would any other hardwood, avoiding abrasive cleaners or hard vacuum attachments that could damage your floors.
To learn more about the benefits of hickory flooring, call Floor Coverings International West Metro Atlanta. Schedule your free, in-home design consultation and our team will bring our wide selection of flooring samples to your home with our mobile showroom. We’ll walk you through the entire process, from start to finish to ensure you have a stress-free flooring experience!
Photo © Pics721